BAVC Media (Bay Area Video Coalition) is one of the leading community media organizations in the country. Celebrating our 45th year of operations, BAVC Media serves 7,500 freelancers, filmmakers, jobseekers, activists and artists each year, at home in the Bay Area and nationally. BAVC Media provides access to media making technology, training, services and resources to a diverse and engaged community of independent makers and producers, and nonprofit organizations. Here are some of our value statements to give you a sense of our commitments and priorities:
- Radical Access – BAVC Media is rooted in media justice. Everyone should have access to tools and information to create new narratives for themselves and their communities.
- Collective Spirit – We believe in plurality – of voice, of identity, of perspective. BAVC Media is a coalition of passionate creatives, working artists, independent media makers, and everyday people, effecting change one story at a time.
- Empowered Creativity – Everyone should have the chance to be active producers and interpreters, rather than merely consumers of media. Whether in an online course or an artist development cohort, at BAVC Media you will have an immersive, communal learning experience that encourages you to question and create.
For over 20 years, BAVC Media’s Youth and Emerging Media Makers Programs (YEMM) have been local and national models in the field of media arts and education.
YEMM Programs equip young people ages 12-25 with the skills and experience they need to create media that matters to them and focuses on their social change goals. We prepare our participants to enter the digital media workforce on pathways to finding sustainable employment in high-wage, high demand occupations, while developing a personal creative practice. Students gain marketable technical skills through hands-on, project-based coursework, taught by working professionals using industry-standard equipment.
We’re proud of the media makers and projects that we’ve supported through these programs thus far, and see exciting potential for expansion of our programming for young people in the future.
BAVC Media seeks qualified candidates for the open Podcasting / Audio Storytelling (BUMP) Instructor position for the Next Gen Program. This is a part-time, non-exempt position. By teaching a diverse community of young people who are active, engaged community media makers, the BUMP (Audio) Instructor contributes to BAVC Media’s mission of empowering social change. This individual provides technical audio training to young media makers, and reports to the YEMM Program Manager and YEMM Program Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The BUMP instructor will:
- Develop curriculum and provide instruction to a cohort of up to 15 students ages 14-17 with an emphasis in the following teaching areas: social justice, media literacy, writing, podcasting, professional audio recording, sound design / mixing, and studio equipment.
- Provide guidance and support to students as they create projects and grow as artists
- Provide students necessary training to produce a portfolio of work including interactive media (i.e. a song or podcast of their own)
- Coordinate professional development opportunities (ex: guest speakers and a field trip)
- Update student record database tracking attendance and participation in activities including updating weekly reports and informing Youth Programs Coordinator if a student does not show up for class
- Prepare students to present final projects at public, culminating event
- Communicate efficiently with students, YEMM team, and partners in order to ensure that deliverables are completed in a timely manner
- Support BAVC staff on program implementation
- Maintain BAVC’s standard of instruction while working to meet deadlines
- Create and maintain a safe and supportive environment for students of all backgrounds to learn, grow, and express themselves creatively.
- Complete professional development/growth activities including attending 1 orientation, 5 teaching team meetings, and other workshops per semester.
- Perform other job-related duties as required
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years teaching experience with diverse youth populations preferred
- Experience teaching in a virtual or hybrid capacity
- Proficiency in the audio production and engineering applications
- Experience in the music industry (media instructor, musician, engineer, DJ, podcaster, etc.)
- Experience and proficiency with current audio software and technologies, including FL Studio, ProTools, Adobe Audition, Ableton, DolbyOn, Dolby Atmos, podcasting, audio recording equipment, & other accessible tools.
- Experience in curriculum development specifically for youth and education
- Experience and success teaching youth media arts skills
- Experience working high school aged youth (low income, BIPOC) and experience with youth development preferred.
- Enthusiasm for arts and technology education and its potential for positive impact on the lives of young people
- Comfortable adapting to new digital workflow tools such as Google Suite, Google Classroom, and Airtable. Comfortable using Zoom, Google Hangouts & Google Meet
- Reliable, accountable, and highly organized
- Great organizational skills and time management skills
- Experience working with diverse communities, able to fit into and continue to create a supportive, democratic organizational culture (team-building, conflict management, humor, flexibility, energy and vision).
- Solid leadership, group facilitation, and excellent written/oral communication
- Demonstrated commitment to the BAVC mission
- Second language fluency is a plus.
HOURS: 12-15 hours/week for approximately 15 weeks per semester in the fall and spring. Class hours are Tuesday/Thursday 4:30-6:30PM. Additional meetings and course preparations will complement class time work. Seeking a commitment for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semester. Due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic classes are virtual with the option of having some production classes with limited contact in person. In person classes would be in San Francisco unless otherwise indicated.
- Salary: $22-28/hr, commensurate with experience
- BAVC Media offers part-time employees paid sick and vacation time accrual.
BAVC Media strongly encourages candidates from diverse and/or underrepresented communities and backgrounds to apply.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title in the email subject line.
*SPECIAL ADA REQUIREMENTS
BAVC Media is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodations to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job. For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” are essential job functions. Significant work is performed in a typical interior community meeting space or classroom work environment. The ability to lift 50 pounds or more is not required by this position and a candidate’s inability to do so will not affect their eligibility for the position. However, if the candidate is physically able to lift 50lb and is hired for the position they will be asked to do so as part of their job duties.
BAVC Media will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.