BAVC Media (Bay Area Video Coalition) is one of the leading community media organizations in the country. Celebrating our 45th year of operations, BAVC Media serves 7,500 freelancers, filmmakers, jobseekers, activists and artists each year, at home in the Bay Area and nationally. BAVC Media provides access to media making technology, training, services and resources to a diverse and engaged community of independent makers and producers, and nonprofit organizations. Here are some of our value statements to give you a sense of our commitments and priorities:
- Radical Access – BAVC Media is rooted in media justice. Everyone should have access to tools and information to create new narratives for themselves and their communities.
- Collective Spirit – We believe in plurality – of voice, of identity, of perspective. BAVC Media is a coalition of passionate creatives, working artists, independent media makers, and everyday people, effecting change one story at a time.
- Empowered Creativity – Everyone should have the chance to be active producers and interpreters, rather than merely consumers of media. Whether in an online course or an artist development cohort, at BAVC Media you will have an immersive, communal learning experience that encourages you to question and create.
What We’re Looking for in Our Next Director of Development
The Director of Development will lead the Development Department in strategically securing funding for BAVC Media. The Development Director is responsible for all foundation, individual, corporate, and government giving and oversight. Reporting to the Executive Director and collaborating closely with department heads, the Development Director will work closely across departments to develop a sustainable and growth-focused strategy for funding as well as managing department staff and activities.
- Create and implement innovative and manageable annual fundraising strategy based on industry trends to grow and diversify revenue streams
- Lead corporate, foundation, government and individual donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Develop and implement donor engagement and acknowledgement plans
- Develop corporate giving strategy including in-kind solicitation
- Lead grant-writing and reporting activities including some direct writing and editing
- Manage capital campaign, individual donor campaigns, and other crowdfunding campaigns as needed
- Plan and execute fundraising events, both online and in-person
- Develop prospecting efforts to identify new funders, including major donors, foundations, and corporations towards overall departmental growth
- Oversee information management, including database management and reports
- Provide appropriate backup and reporting to Finance Department; develop budget and oversee financials for department
- Supervise, direct, hire and manage Development Department staff
- Support fundraising work with Board of Directors
- Oversee Annual Report production
- Rebuild and oversee BAVC Media’s Membership program and related member event activities, in collaboration with other BAVC Media staff
- Work closely with Executive Director to develop and build strategic funder relationships
- Work with other departments to reach BAVC Media messaging and outreach goals, tell BAVC Media’s story and represent BAVC Media across sectors
- Ensure that fundraising goals align with BAVC Media’s mission and program goals
- Support a healthy, productive work environment by committing to open collaboration, communication and accountability
- High level strategic thinker
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Ability to manage and supervise department staff
- Experience with a capital campaign
- Experience developing or building individual donor cultivation strategy
- Skills in grant budgeting and grant management
- Thinks creatively about diversifying revenue streams
- Ability to strategize around diverse programming
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Strong time-management and organizational skills, the ability to multi-task and work in a deadline driven environment
- Ability to work with a diverse community; open to different perspectives
- Strong problem solving skills and flexibility
JOB DETAILS: This is a full-time exempt position, 35 hours per week. This is a hybrid remote and in-person position – Applicants should prepare to be in-person for meetings, events, and on an as-needed basis with an option for remote daily office hours.
SALARY RANGE: $90,000-$120,000
BENEFITS: BAVC offers full-time employees paid sick leave, vacation, and health benefits.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and cover letter via this form by November 30th
BAVC strongly encourages candidates from diverse and/or underrepresented communities and backgrounds to apply.
*SPECIAL ADA REQUIREMENTS
BAVC is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodations to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of their job. For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” are essential job functions. Significant work is performed in a typical interior community meeting space or classroom work environment. The ability to lift 50 pounds or more is not required by this position and a candidate’s inability to do so will not affect their eligibility for the position.
BAVC will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.