Do No Harm Media (DNHM) is seeking an effective, detail-oriented, personable, and curious Project Assistant to provide executive and administrative support, production assistance, media assets management, social media coordination, and events support.
Founded by Dr. Jessica Zitter, Do No Harm Media’s mission is to lift the veil on the end-of-life experience. Through media-based storytelling, we intend to ignite a movement that restores humanity to the experience of dying and enacts real change that will be felt in hospital rooms, in medical education programs, and around dining room tables across this country.
The ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree and has at least 2 years of experience in project administration and management, as well as executive support. Meticulous organizational skills, effective communication, strong writing skills, flexibility, and a willingness to roll up one’s sleeves in a startup environment will be keys to success in this role. An interest in end-of-life issues and media production are a plus, but no prior knowledge is required.
To Apply: Fill out this application
Due date: Applications accepted on a rolling basis
Position: Project Assistant, full-time, non-exempt
Location: Bay Area. Primarily Virtual, but candidate must be
available for weekly on-site meetings in Oakland, California.
Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: $45-55K plus benefits
Do No Harm Media is seeking a new teammate with a passion for doing good and an interest in improving end-of-life medical care. We are a high energy, goal-oriented, and results-driven team. We value diversity and strive to bring together a range of talents to work toward our common goals. Interest in healthcare, and particularly end-of-life issues is a plus.
The Project Assistant is responsible for managing the administrative operations start to finish and is an integral member of the team. We are a small team: Founder and Lead Advocate Dr. Jessica Zitter, an Executive Director, and a Senior Project Coordinator (to whom the Project Assistant will report). While much of the work performed by the Project Assistant will be administrative, there are ample opportunities for participation and collaboration in this startup environment.
Regarding personal qualities, the ideal candidate is conscientious, effective, rigorous, personable, and curious. At Do No Harm Media, we love our work and are looking for someone who shares our passion, good-naturedness, and rigorous curiosity. Given the startup nature of our organization, teamwork and a collaborative, flexible spirit are essential, with a willingness to do whatever needs to be done.
As for professional qualities, the Project Assistant will value excellent communication and follow-through and demonstrate close attention to detail, reliability, and a strong work ethic. S/he/they will be comfortable taking initiative and acting without direct management at times.
Do No Harm Media (currently doing business as the Jessica Zitter Media Project) is a new media production company that uses story-based media combined with educational programming to create a more compassionate, patient-centered system of care. Founded by Dr. Jessica Zitter, a critical and palliative care physician who is well-known as an author, speaker, and filmmaker on healthcare issues, its mission is to ignite a global movement that restores humanity to the experience of dying. DHNM is an umbrella organization with two arms: producing documentary media and creating impact activities around these media (including events and curricula).
Dr. Zitter is a national speaker and advocate for improving the way we die in America. Her essays and articles have been published widely in the New York Times and other publications, and her first book, Extreme Measures: Finding a Better Path to the End of Life, offers an insider’s view of intensive care in America and its impact on how we die. She has worked on two award-winning documentaries, including Extremis and Caregiver: A Love Story, and is currently co-directing The Chaplain of Oakland, a film which explores the public health crisis of racial inequity for patients of color. You can learn more about Dr. Zitter and the organization at www.jessicazitter.com.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support a wide range of administrative tasks as needed by Founder and ED
- Manage complex calendar schedules and coordinate meetings and travel for Founder and ED
- Attend and support team meetings including note taking and follow-ups
- Manage Founder’s emails and track daily to-do’s
- Support the ED in preparation for Board and Advisory Meetings
- Conduct research and collect information for meetings, presentations, or reports
- Maintain digital files and information including documents, media archives, and data
- Support contract management, invoicing and payment for consultants, contractors, and, vendors
- Manage contact lists and databases
- Provide writing and communications support for email correspondences, newsletters, website and social media copy, and promotional materials
- Maintain and update organizational website and manage e-news
- Create and post social media content and manage social accounts
- Support speaking event, film screening tour, and impact campaign needs
- Provide production assistance and coordination for film shoots
- Take on special projects as needed
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (2+ years experience preferred for each):
- Administrative & office management (creating, maintaining, and enhancing systems and processes)
- Complex calendar and email management
- Media assets management
- Social media and website management expertise
- Comfort with project management software and CRM
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with Zoom, Google Suite, Dropbox, Microsoft Office, Squarespace, WordPress
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast paced start-up, work environment
- Technically savvy and undaunted by new software or applications, email
- Detail oriented
- Comfortable “managing up”
- Collaborative, flexible work style
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationships with a variety of partners, funders, and contacts
Reports directly to Senior Project Coordinator
Works in close collaboration with Founder and Executive Director
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include continual sitting, typing, and repetitive computer use for eight hours a day. Also, requires frequently communicating with others including hearing and speaking clearly with individuals and groups.
Ideal candidate is based in the Bay Area. Primarily remote, with weekly team meetings on-site in Oakland, CA and occasional days for media asset management and production assistance, as needed. Strict non-smoking environment, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination required (unless medically contraindicated).
Schedule is generally 8 hours per day during the week, but requires some flexibility based on needs of the organization with some rare weekend or evening work required.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.