Opening doors to the world of jazz
The SFJAZZ Technical Director leads SFJAZZ in all phases of the technical production of an event or performance by providing crucial support to SFJAZZ Artistic, Rentals, Development, Education and Operation departments.
The Technical Director has oversight responsibility of all theatrical systems at the SFJAZZ Center and collaborates closely with the Director of Production on maintenance schedules, capital improvements, budgets and establishing safety protocols and standard operating procedures.
In addition, the Technical Director manages and schedules the full time and on-call technical staff and works closely with internal departments to determine staffing and technical needs for all events at the SFJAZZ Center and offsite partner venues. This position also fills in as Production Manager and stage manager and provides additional onsite support for special events when needed.
- Manage and oversee all technical staff including Stage Managers, Artist Assistants and Audio, Lighting and Video technicians
- Assist with the scheduling of Production staff and participate in the staff timecard approval process
- Collaborate with the Director of Production on technical projects and capital improvements, from start to finish, including maintenance schedules, technical upgrades and employee trainings on technical systems (Pro Tools, Crestron, ETC Paradigm, Meyer Galileo, Spectra Logic Black Pearl, Vectorworks) and all other theatre installations.
- Ensure safety standards for equipment operation and rigging are followed and oversee and participate in the Fall Protection training
- Generate and update floor plans, drawings and technical venue documentation
- Partner with Production Managers and the Rentals Manager to assess and determine the technical and requirements for performances or events at the SFJAZZ Center, providing onsite support when needed
- Work collaboratively with Artistic, Education, Development and Rentals departments to determine necessary staffing support for on-site and off-site performances and events
- Work with Director of Production to establish and maintain asset management systems for all theatrical equipment
- Maintain systems to track all gear for repairs and scheduled maintenance
- Collaborate with the Development Events team and Production Managers on the SFJAZZ Annual Gala. Create a master event timeline and production schedule for the event and provide onsite support during the event
- Frequently act as Production Manager and/or Stage Manager, for on-site and off-site performances. Advance the technical and backstage rider requirements with an artist’s team and support the performance in one of those roles, when needed. Coordination with offsite venues regarding labor and booking vendors specific to audio, video, lighting, backline, staging and catering will be required.
- Problem-solve and collaborate with SFJAZZ management and staff to create a solutions-based environment for all events
- Key advisory role in development of annual and special project budgets as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Proficiency in the following:
- Audio & Video signal flow & patching
- Clear-Com communication systems
- Crestron AV Matrix
- Electrical basics
- ETC Paradigm
- Fall Protection systems
- Line Array systems
- LTO Tape Systems
- Media Asset Management (MAM) systems
- Rigging protocols
- Robotic camera operation
- Stage management
Proficiency in the following software:
- Apple Keynote
- Google Workspace: Docs, Drive, Sheets, etc
- Mac & Windows OS
- Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Powerpoint, Word
- Vectorworks Spotlight
- At least 6 years of experience in theatre or concert production with extensive knowledge of audio, lighting, video, rigging and production-related procedures & protocols
- Minimum 4 years of management or supervisory experience in a technical production environment
- Strong collaborative cross-functional team management and project management skills
- Flexible and adapts readily to changing priorities and needs of a fast-paced production environment
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time
- Ability to work holidays, weekends and evenings
SFJAZZ is one of the world’s most popular and important presenters of jazz. The SFJAZZ Center is a beautiful and perfect stage for jazz artists and the community to celebrate the living American art form of jazz. The $64 million dollar Center launched in 2013 and the 38-year-old non-profit organization now delivers distinguished programming and education services from the heart of the San Francisco arts district. The pre-pandemic budget for the organization was over $19 million; 60% derived from ticket sales.
SFJAZZ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF. We particularly welcome those who bring the gifts of diversity to our organization. People of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to the email address: jobs [at] sfjazz [dot] org. Mention “Technical Director” in the subject line. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Job Title: Technical Director
Reports to: Director of Production
Prepared: July 2022
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com