Website California Film Institute
About Mill Valley Film Festival:
Founded in 1978, the Mill Valley Film Festival is a world-renowned 11-day event held every October, screening over 200 innovative US and international films for over 60,000 attendees. MVFF has a stellar reputation as a filmmakers’ festival with a high-profile, prestigious, non-competitive environment celebrating the best in independent and world cinema in gorgeous Northern California.
About the Job:
The House Manager is responsible for managing the minutiae of the seating of their house. This role will oversee the house setup and turnover between screenings, including working directly with projection and tech to verify sound levels, pre-roll content, and requested tech checks. House Managers collaborate with Line Managers to seat and start screenings on time while also managing RUSH sales when applicable.
Festival House Managers work with the onsite TOPs and Box Office staff to ensure safe theater operations and timely screening starts. Reports to the Operations Manager and works within the Operations Department.
- As a Festival House Manager, you will interface closely with the public, volunteers, projectionists (and other MVFF staff), filmmakers and sponsors
- Work with Development department to fulfill sponsor and donor needs and verify reserved seating arrangements
- Prepare House at the start of every day and each screening
- Check in with the Venue Manager to get radio, review tech sheets, dailies, and show flows. Discuss any filmmaker/talent arriving, red carpets, and shows on RUSH or might likely go to RUSH
- Check in with Projectionist on radio. Confirm all films, trailers and Sponsor Slides for the day are ready
- Maintain audience traffic flow upon ingress and egress
- Communicate any accidents or patron issues, if any, to Venue Manager and provide written incident reports
- Keeping staff and customers informed of festival updates and changes
- Coordinate show ingress and egresses with other managers via radio, striving for every show to start on time
- Call all shows in partnership with projection
- Ensure picture and sound quality for all pieces of content. If/when a Filmmaker is present, work with them to do this for their film by communicating with projection for them
- Assist with introductions of films, managing microphones and cuing Filmmaker and Programmer
- Manage RUSH ticket sales and seating with the Line Managers
- Manage Q&A sessions and patrons exiting film during Q&As
- Fill out screening reports, and conduct final counts of tickets and ballots
- End of Day procedures and venue clean up
- Organize supplies designated for your theater
- Other duties as assigned
Our ideal candidate has:
- Superb organizational and communication skills
- Detailed, disciplined, and thorough. You have a professional demeanor and a great attitude
- Grace under pressure; can do attitude
- Strong managerial and leadership skills
- Proven skill with driving deadlines
- Excellent customer service, and public interaction skills
- Ability to manage time effectively and bring projects to completion despite conflicting deadlines
- Calm under pressure, managing multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- Thrives working independently and on a team.
- Must own a smart-phone
- Must have open availability though duration of contract and must be prepared for long hours and late nights.
To apply for this job please visit mvff.applicantpro.com.