BAVC Media is seeking two mentors for a newly launching editing fellowship and lab program in partnership with PG&E.
BAVC Media will provide an opportunity for in-depth professional development to aspiring editors from underrepresented communities while supporting PG&E storytelling and content creation.
Three fellows will be selected to train as assistant editors collaborating with the support of two mentors over the course of a five-month program. The fellows will hone their craft and build experience through the editing of professional video pieces, with a focus on stories that highlight PG&E grantees and supported communities. They will work in a professional editing lab with industry-standard equipment for 30 hours each month.
We are currently seeking two mentors with substantial professional editing experience to offer hands-on guidance and BAVC Media’s Advanced Training and Community Media staff will provide program oversight.
Offerings & Structure
- For working with and supporting the fellows, each mentor will receive a fee of $100 per hour as an independent contractor over the course of the five-month program.
Mentors are required to commit 20 hours per month, 5 hours per week, over the course of 5 months.
- Availability to be on site and mentoring in person at BAVC facility is required. Fixed hours, e.g. Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4:30-7:00 pm, will be determined with fellows.
- Through a collaborative process, beginning with assessment of footage for each project, the fellows and mentors will establish a realistic editing schedule before developing their ability to efficiently log and organize footage; code, sync, and export that footage; transcribe interviews; upload materials; maintain hard drives; and prep deliverables.
- Mentors and BAVC staff will lead broader career workshops for fellows on subjects such as growing their professional networks, identifying job opportunities, interviewing effectively, and building their portfolios on an ongoing basis.
- A series of compelling videos highlighting the work of PG&E community-based partners and grantees. The approximate number and length of these videos will be determined at the outset of the project by PG&E and BAVC Media staff.
- An invaluable opportunity for fellows and mentors to grow, develop their skills and build strong relationships together through creative collaboration.
- Stronger career-readiness skills for fellows in areas such as building professional networks, finding and working with creative collaborators, and interviewing for promising job opportunities.
- Expanded portfolios for each participant, with the addition of new professional pieces created during the fellowship program.
Eligibility & Criteria
- Applicants for mentoring are established professionals with solid experience in video production and editing, ideally within an agency or corporate environment
- Background or strong interest in teaching strongly preferred
- Exceptional judgment, keen eye for video and strong creative skills with a focus on creating engaging videos for specific target audiences
- Attention to detail, ability to communicate clearly and proactively, and a highly collaborative approach
- Strong post-production experience including audio editing, audio mixing, and color correction with current post-production tools including Adobe Premiere, After Effects, etc.
- Ability to identify post-production process issues and help to correct those issues with suggestions for new workflows and technologies
- Mentors are required to commit 20 hours per month, of which 5 hours per week are allotted, over the course of 5 months. Fellows are required to commit 30 hours each month for five-month duration of program, based on a schedule that will be mutually agreed upon with program mentors.
To apply for this job please visit form.jotform.com.